Wednesday, September 18, 2013

My Top 5 Rules for Getting in Shape


This short and to the point blog will help you jump start your search for optimal health by cutting through conventional wisdom and sharing the real ways to build muscle, burn fat and not waste time or money on programs that do not deliver. (Note: My upcoming blog on Testosterone offers some additional detail and is an important companion article to this blog)

Embracing each day with the energy and focus required for sustained Peak performance necessitates a strong foundation of health and fitness.

Over the years I have experimented with a variety of training programs from endurance training to body building. During these periods I have learned that being very fit for some types of sports activities does not necessarily mean you are healthy and the training required will often leave you unable to perform other activities at your best. Much of what I've learned goes against conventional wisdom. For example I believe the popular wisdom of the past 40 years – that we would all be better off doing 45 minutes to an hour a day of intense aerobic activity – has created a generation of over trained, under fit, immune-compromised exerholics. The prevailing myth that the only way to burn fat is to do cardio is nonsense. Building solid muscle mass with an adequate diet is the absolute best way to get rid of those love handles. I believe the focus on saturated fat in weight loss programs and heart disease prevention is misplaced and I believe the conventional wisdom that suggests we eat 6 servings of healthy grains each day has led to our current obesity crisis.

My goals during the past year were to focus on the most effective way to burn fat, build or preserve lean muscle and maintain optimal health. I wanted a program that left me energized and ready to perform at my best in whatever activity was on my agenda for that day. Most importantly I wanted a program that was sustainable. 

In a world of spiraling medical costs, underfunded health entitlement programs, and growing financial uncertainty, this concept of long-lived fitness at low expense seems an obvious and attractive investment to make.

Here is what I've learned:

1.      Lifting Weights is King - Lifting builds muscle, muscle burns fat, and muscle ups your metabolism, increases testosterone (yes this is also important for women) and HGH. 

2.      Nutrition is Queen - You all know this, you can't get into shape eating Twinkies, sodas, and McDonalds all day. Eating a diet high in healthy fats, high-medium protein, and low-medium carb is the best route. Fat is essential for building testosterone, testosterone is essential for building muscle. Eat organic, local, pastured and free range to avoid toxins as much as possible. Get your carbs from starchy tubers not grains. Intermittent fast by skipping breakfast and eat your first meal at noon 3 days a week.

3.      Cardio is Prince - Avoid chronic cardio and focus on interval training twice a week - intense physical exertion with periods of rest. Endless miles of jogging is actually systemic inflammation, severely suppresses other parts of your immune system and the increased oxidative damage will slowly tear apart your precious muscle and joint tissue.

4.      Get outside – breathe fresh air, get some sun on your skin to maintain Vitamin D levels and go for long walks in a natural environment.

5.      Get Adequate Sleep - The “I’ll sleep when I’m dead” overachiever mindset assumes our bodies aren't doing anything useful when we’re buried beneath the covers. Nothing could be further from the truth. Sleep is an incredibly active time for our bodies and brains when we undergo all manner of growth and repair processes through a dynamic biochemical orchestration.

These rules worked for me and I believe they will work for most everyone. I am healthier, leaner and better overall conditioned at 60 than any time since my 30's. Try them for a couple of months and be amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment